Here's all that's going on in my crazy classroom this coming week! FREEBIES included. Woohoo!
1.We will be continuing our study of multiple meaning words. Last week, we reviewed our chart we made oh so long ago and I introduced very plain, very quickly made, index cards to them...
They may look plain, but it's how you use them! I gave each student one card and they had to think about the two meanings (I helped students who were stuck, or gave them a different card) and then they had to turn to a buddy and act out the two meanings for them. They could also just use the word in a sentence, but I encouraged them to act it out as that is soooooo much more fun! Then I picked volunteers to act out their word for the class. We will be continuing the activity next week.
If you would like help coming up with a list of multiple meaning words (I sure needed it!), then this website is a wonderful resource!
2. We will also be reviewing nouns, verbs, and adjectives using the SCOOT games I recently uploaded to TpT. I just finished laminating and cutting them today! You can take a look at them here. It is $1.50 for all 3 games.
3. In reading, we will be focusing on the long i sound. This week we will focus on the "y" spelling, but we've already learned the "i_e" spelling. While searching Pinterest, I found a TERRIFIC idea for teaching it! Are you ready for it?! Sorting the different spellings using McDonald's fry holders!!!! What a clever idea! So, of course, I haaad to do it. The idea came from Sarah over at First Grader at Last. Hers are actually way cuter than mine, so be sure to take a look at them!
Here's mine. I developed words to go along with five different spellings: i_e, y, ie, igh, and i. This coming week, my kiddos will focus on the words with i_e, y, and ie. In the coming weeks, I'll add the other two.
Here's two things to notice in the picture that I'm not happy about:
- They wouldn't give me the "good" holders. Yes, I told them I'm a teacher. Didn't work. I got the crappy ones, except for the one at the top of the page, which is what they gave me my fries in. It's greasy and gross. Don't worry, I'm not using it for the actual activity.
- My "fries" are mini! I totally spaced and forgot to make them fry size!!!!!!!!! Eek! Oh well, they can be new bite size fries....
The only good thing about this greasy holder is that it holds all of my supplies!
The students will be recording their words on these sorting pages:
If you would like these recording pages, click here.
If you would like the words I used, click here and here.
4. And last, but not least, we will be working on cause and effect using my posters and some of the resources found here, on TpT for $3.00.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend! And please remember, I love comments! And new followers!